Saturday, November 29, 2008

baby kimonos

My friend Rachel came over today to teach me how to make a baby kimono for our (hopefully) soon-to-arrive baby. She made one for her daughter, Maeve, and I thought it was so adorable, I had to make some too.

We used a free pattern from habitual, which worked well...and despite my not-so-great sewing skills, I was able to make two kimonos that I am totally in love with. I made the 6-12 month size, so I should be able to use them for a while.

I got both of these fabrics from Superbuzzy. The gold fabric is 100% cotton, and is called Proud Lion.


And the farm scene fabric is a Japanese linen-cotton waffle weave fabric (which has a wonderful drape by the way) called Free Range. I'm really happy with how both kimonos turned out, and can't wait to see them on baby!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute, and I like your choice of fabrics.

emily said...

So cute!!! I love the fabrics too! That is one lucky little boy :)

Anonymous said...

Check you out! See, you're sewing! Isn't it a great feeling?

I hope you enjoyed the pattern. I makes me so, so happy to read about people learning to sew!